Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Blurkers?

I have recently become aware of a relatively new species of humanoid that frequents the internet.

If you are a regular user of internet forums, you are aware of the existence of “lurkers”. These are people who frequent particular forums of their choosing to read the postings of others, but who do not register with that forum or post any submissions of their own. Lurkers enjoy reading the discussions that take place on such forums, but often feel that they have nothing significant to contribute to the discussion themselves. Their existence has long been recognized, and the fact is that frequent posters on one forum may indeed become lurkers on another forum out of curiosity. No biggie.

But now a new breed of internet inhabitant has emerged that I think deserves unique recognition. These are former bloggers who, for one reason or another, have ceased to maintain their own blogs, yet who still roam the vast internet “Blogosphere” reading other people’s blogs and often posting comments to those very blogs. Their contributions may often be welcomed by the bloggers; at other times not. But just as the comic Steve Martin once observed that the French seem to have a different word for everything in the English language, I have noticed that denizens of the internet also seem to have a “techno-word” for every aspect and every inhabitant of their world.

Thus I am wondering if anyone has yet invented a word for former bloggers who no longer blog, but who post their comments to other people’s blogs. I am not sufficiently savvy to know such things. Unless or until such a word is invented (Which inevitably will happen, you can be sure of that!), I propose we call such people “Blurkers” as in “Blog-Lurkers”.

We will continue to encourage their comments, as we active bloggers simply live for comments, but at the same time we will ask the Blurkers to reconsider their choice to leave active blogging, and to return to their former efforts to make the Blogosphere more interesting for the rest of us who used to enjoy blurking their blogs.

8 Comments:

At 1/31/2007 10:05 AM , Blogger Mimi said...

Father, bless,

I like the term "blurker"

 
At 1/31/2007 12:34 PM , Blogger Munkee said...

yeah, i know exactly what you mean father!

 
At 1/31/2007 1:03 PM , Blogger E Rica said...

Gosh, I can't tell you how bummed I am that certain people stopped blogging. I entered the blogworld with so many blog friends...

John Ma'ae forced me to start a blog and he doesn't even blurk anymore...

But, by all means, I hope the blurkers keep commenting. :)

 
At 1/31/2007 2:30 PM , Blogger DebD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1/31/2007 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to blog, but found myself going over the top on a regular basis.

A self intervention was my only answer, in the Blogosphere and other places.

Adios for a time Ere, the rancor is just too hard for me to bare.

 
At 2/02/2007 6:55 PM , Blogger Fr. Michael Reagan said...

I should point out for anyone confused by that last comment that "Jeremias" is a friend of mine from a Christian forum we both regularly post at. Things have turned rather nasty there of late due in part to a poster who denies the Holy Trinity, and attacks anyone who disagrees with his views.

"Jeremias" and I have apparently both opted to withhold furter postings on that forum for awhile.

Take care, my friend.

 
At 2/03/2007 9:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "blurker" is a fine term! I hadn't seen much of the type, but if I do, I'll address them right away with my new word and put a scare into them.

Not that you want to scare them off, of course. I just want to know what's up with quitting their own blog and yet having the energy to go trolling other ones.

 
At 2/03/2007 9:24 PM , Blogger Fr. Michael Reagan said...

Heheh..Grace

No, I sure don't want to scare them off! Like e rica (I wonder who that could be!) I too miss my friends who used to blog, but no longer do.

I know that some stopped for personal reasons, and I respect that. But still...the Blogosphere would be so much more interesting and profitable with more Orthodox bloggers, don't you think?

Oh well. I never turn away any blurker. In fact I appreciate them all. "Blurkers welcome here!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home